One of the problems with learning to use an astrolabe is that in order to work through the class notes the student needs to first print out and assemble their own astrolabe from the provided materials. This takes time and materials that may not be ready to hand. What I’ve wanted to do for a […]

Major Update!

Yeah, I’m still plugging away, between burnout and other commitments I haven’t had a lot of time for this project. This has changed with the turning of the year. First up, I have made a major update to the Astrolabe Generator. I finally figured out a way to digitize a set of zodiac symbols and […]

There’s an App for That: An astrolabe for the iPad

As I mentioned a while back, there is a developer out there using the output of the Astrolabe Generator to create an astrolabe app for the iPad. Well, version 1 is complete and available for free on the App Store. The website is: I have not had a chance to look at it yet, […]

Random Jottings

The Missing Manual has gone missing! As some of you might have noticed, the Joomla site for Astrolabe: The Missing Manual is gone. Like the original wiki it replaced, it was not meeting my needs, so I nuked it.  Do not despair! The manual still exists, and is still being added to regularly (more regularly […]

Astrolabe Generator: Done For Now

I have just uploaded the last tweak I’m planning on making to version 2 of the Astrolabe Generator. I’ve done a lot of work on it over the last few weeks, and I’m happy with the results. I will still be planning to add more scales and functionality in the future, but it is time […]

Progress Made on The Manual

I added some sections to the astrolabe manual. and was able to make good progress in developing my own art for the various diagrams. I hope to make significant progress this coming week on converting my class handout into a manual

Photos added to Assembly Instructions

I have started adding photos to the astrolabe assembly instructions.

Work done on Manual

I think that Joomla is going to work out. It is just a bit complicated to set up, but it seems to be working fine now.

Manual Move

I’m not happy with MediaWiki as a back end for the manual. Good software, but a wiki is just not suited to what I want to do. I’m going to try the content management system Joomla. I looked at it to run the whole website, and I might still move away from WordPress if I […]

To do list

I added a recommended leading list to the Manual (linked to the right). And started building some manual pages on the parts of the astrolabe. I’m going to have to find some CC or PD art for illustrations, or do some up myself.